Bad smell in crawl space

Old 05-01-05, 03:46 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bad smell in crawl space

About 3-4 times a year, I come into my house and smell a strong mildew smell. At first I thought it was my garbage dispoal. But this time I can tell it is coming from a different part of the room. It seems to come from the crawl space under the house, near the area where the washer, dryer and hot water heater are. What could it be? Usually its stays for about a week and then goes away. This time it is a much stronger smell than ever before.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-05, 02:31 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 261 Votes on 231 Posts
The 2 things I would check are
#1 are the foundation vents open and unobstructed, also are there enough of them
#2 are there any plumbing leaks
It is important for crawl spases to have adequate ventilation. The smell is probably from moisture in the crawl space. Natural occurring moisture is removed by proper ventilation. If there is excessive moisture it is probably from a plumbing leak. Even a slight drip can cause problems if it continues over a period of time. Hope this helps.

Old 05-06-05, 04:21 PM
T
As indicated, make sure that crawl space is adequately ventilated with no dead air spaces. Soil should be covered with polypropylene (plastic) vapor retarder. Make sure you have no plumbing leaks.

Old 05-06-05, 04:44 PM
Wink

Not sure what the smell is from. But to vent a crawl space is to just as much ask the moisture to come on it. That warm air comeing into the cool down there just make moisture.If you have a AC is the trap in its drain line full of water??

might look at [url]http://aboutsavingheat.com/crawlspace.html.

ED