Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

pour new concrete over heaving/settling concrete?

Old 05-06-05, 11:33 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hey everyone,

I have an 80 year old house that has a basement floor that has heaved and settled over the years. I haven't measured, but I would estimate that the depth between the highest and lowest point is 4-6 inches. The concrete is old, and I would not classify it as "in good shape." There are several cracks, along with the heaving/settling problem. I want to fix up the basement (cheaply) to make it look decent - I'm not looking for perfection. Can I pour self-leveling cement in the low spots to level out my basement, or can I just pour regular concrete over the existing concrete to level it out? Jacking out the existing concrete and repouring the whole thing isn't an option, as our house has several other expensive (aren't they all ) priorities.

thanks for your help!

Fixer

Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-05, 12:02 AM
fixerInSeattle, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
Adding to a bad situation will end up costing you more money in the long run. Starting with a good foundation is the key to ANY building project. I would want to find out what is causing the heaving before I covered it up. My suggestion would be to do all the other priorities first. Then, when you can afford to do it right, start on the basement. Good luck.

Old 05-07-05, 04:33 AM
Heaving concrete

Dragon is correct, however you can do what is called capping. This is a concrete cap that is put over your concrete to basically achieve what you are striving for. However, you would have to have it professionally done. There are several steps involved and each has to be done at a certain time and finished within a certain time. It is not expensive to do. That would be my suggestion. Self leveling products would probably be a bad choice. I built alot of homes in the Seattle area years ago, and whenever heaving problems arose, I looked for tree roots. You should really dig out the heaved parts and repour to do it right. Good Luck

Old 05-09-05, 09:17 AM
F
Thank you all for your help, this site has been really helpful!

I think you guys pretty much told me what I expected, but I was hoping for the "easy fix." Jack, could you tell me more about this "capping?" Approximately how much would this process be to cover about 1000 sq ft? I'm assuming that (for now at least) this is out of our price range. If we were to paint the floor in the mean time, to cover the bad smells, and make it look presentable, would I be shooting myself in the foot down the road when I wanted to cap the floor?

Thanks again everyone, your help is appreciated.

Fixer