Need assistance - Finishing basement

Old 05-18-05, 10:52 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need assistance - Finishing basement

Hi,

I am seriously thinking of having my basement professionally finished.

I have slightly low ceiling and a stone foundation. I live in New York

My biggest question is about insulation. Do I put it between the Sheetrock and the outside wall? If so, what kind and how much? Is there anything else that should go between?

Do I use Steal studs or wood?

I may use this as a bedroom for a nanny. What is the best way to deal with moisture? Will finishing it off make it any better?

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated!

J

Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-05, 03:59 PM
mitchmcse
Visiting Guest
I am in the process of finishing my basement at this time. For the Insulation I would install it. It does go between the studs on the outside walls and will help the basement maintain it's tempurature. If you have any moisture around your outside walls you can get a moisture barrier and install it.

As far as the studs go I am using wood. It probably is a personal preference between wood and steel. The steel ones will be straighter but wood is easier to cut to length.

Old 05-20-05, 06:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
assistance - Finishing basement

If this will be a living space, you should have an egress window for escape. Even if the codes don't catch you it makes sense and could pay off when you go to sell.

If any of the walls are exposed on both sides the wrinkled tin stud wall without insulation in it can be very noisy.

Use pressure treated wood for the plate and anywhere wood is in contact with concrete.

Dick