Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Alternative to cool attic without having to install attic fan

Alternative to cool attic without having to install attic fan

Old 05-28-05, 12:53 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Alternative to cool attic without having to install attic fan

I wish my parents had installed an attic fan 20 years ago when they had build their home. At times they run into mold on the corners of the ceiling . I think the attic is properly ventilated & properly insulated. I've read attic fans will help cool your home considerably .I wish I was handy enough to install one myself besides having very bad lower back problems I was looking for alternatives to get around installing an attic fan. I do own 2 20 inch high velocty fans by lakewood & Holmes. I thought of screwing in a plug into the light socket so I could plug in one of the fans . I don't know if this will do the cool the attic & is a safe & would work to cool the attic in the summer. How much would it apporximately cost to have an attic fan installed apporximately .Any other alternative ways of cooling the attic would be helpful Thank You . resident of northeatern Pa.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-05, 05:52 PM
Myron
Visiting Guest
Hello there in PA

You Think the attic is properly ventilated, roof vents, gable vents , etc.
Is your soffit continuous vent type. If so doesn,t mean anything, Ive seen so many houses where soffit vent is doing nothing because of insulation. A easy way to tell is during the day, light out, stick your head up in your attic access. You should be able to see light from the eaves if your soffits are venting. Same as roof vents etc.

As far as putting in a fan, if there is no venting it won't do anything but eat electricity. Sorry I'm un familar with installing attic fans as far as cost goes but I cant see it being much more than a few hours to complete, unless of course there is no proper venting. Let me know what you see up there

Myron

Old 06-11-05, 07:32 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hey:

I just had on installed by a roofing company and they charged me $210 for the installation. I then paid an electician another $110 to run the power.
We are in Atlanta.. Hope this helps you out.

Take care.,
Dan