big basement problems

Old 06-03-05, 03:28 PM
watchdogps
Visiting Guest
big basement problems

My husband and I are looking at some houses to rehab. One of them has some serious basement issues. Its an OLD house, around 1900-1910, has the old stone basement, which has had some concrete added at some point. The floor is not level, there is actually some puddling, and the walls are definately in need of work. What kind of options are there to take care of this, or should we just run?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-05, 07:03 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
big basement problems

The size of the problems depends on your goals. Obviously you don't expect a 100 year old house to be perfect.

If there are structural problems run fast unless you are in love with the property.

I you are not going to improve or use the space the problems are much less. Take a hard look at the drainage to understand what is going on. Often this can be improved at a reasonable cost. Try to talk to neighbors about any problems they may have seen. Any deep soil problems would have shown up by now.

Any time you plan to rehab you have to know what you are starting with, so get a good certified home inspection (not an out of work carpenter) or hire a structural engineer if you have any structural concerns. It will be a good investment in your future investment.

Dick

Old 06-03-05, 09:21 PM
watchdogps
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by Concretemasonry
I you are not going to improve or use the space the problems are much less. Take a hard look at the drainage to understand what is going on. Often this can be improved at a reasonable cost. Try to talk to neighbors about any problems they may have seen. Any deep soil problems would have shown up by now.

Any time you plan to rehab you have to know what you are starting with, so get a good certified home inspection (not an out of work carpenter) or hire a structural engineer if you have any structural concerns. It will be a good investment in your future investment.

Dick
Thanks, Dick. We would certainly have an inspection doen, as hubby and I are not trained in structural issues. We're really good at drywall and tile, and even electrical, but heavy duty stuff is not our thing.

We live about 8 houses away (in an urban area, so about 1 1/2 blocks) and we have the same type of basement and ours is dry as a bone. Does that tell us anything?