Nosiy Attic Fan

Old 06-04-05, 03:00 PM
legolas53
Visiting Guest
Nosiy Attic Fan

I have an old belt driven attic fan that is quite noisy. Ever since I replaced the belt it has made more noise. Bought the belt at an suotmotive supply sotre. Couldn't find one anywhere else. An suggestions to eliminate the noise.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-05, 03:36 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

You sure you got the right belt A or B . Dont make the belt to tight you want a 1/4"to 1/2" that you can push in the belt.

ED

Old 07-13-05, 06:58 PM
jimothy
Visiting Guest
Noisy fan too

I've got a similar problem. Moved in to a house with a very old attic fan with no belt or fan shaft pulley. I replaced both with parts I got from Grainger but the fan runs with a loud knocking sound.

At the moment I thinking one of three things:

The fan propellor itself could be out of balance after all these years. I figure I will try and run the unit with the fan off, ie just the motor, belt and shaft and see if there is still noise to try and figure that out.

The shaft runs on two bearings, one high and one low with the propellor under the lower bearing and the pulley on top of the high bearing. Its long, almost two feet and the frame is welded angle steel. I figure maybe either the shaft is bent, the bearings not aligned or the frame twisted and that might give rise to a knock. Does that sound feasible? I'm going to a small level tomorrow and try to get up there and check that everything is square and true.

Finally the roof was replaced, looks like 5 years ago or so and now there is not the 8 sq ft of vent space that I should have for a 30" fan. Could the pressure build up in the attic give me more noise?

Anyway, thats my thought on mine for now.Does it sound anything like yours? Anyone have any other suggestions? My wife thinks I am obsessed with the thing so I need to get it sorted quick before she bans me from the attic. Should I just go out and buy another for $300?

Jim

Old 07-28-08, 08:11 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question attic fan belt for motor

I have a blt driven whole home atiic cieling fan. Went up to check up vibration noise, and found a slight split on the belt. built in 1962, where would I go to find a replacement belt? it a Diamond 4L 580. Thanks, Greg