covering insulation in ceiling basement

Old 06-10-05, 09:20 AM
al_bundy
Visiting Guest
Question covering insulation in ceiling basement

hello all,
i just moved to an old house. The full unfinished basement has fibergalss insulation on the ceiling with the pink fiberglass exposed facing the unfinished basement. I want to cover the fiberglass as i am concerned with it becoming airborne (if it hasn't already). I have my washer and dryer down there as well some other stuff. I was told i could staple tyvek homewrap on joists as it allows the moisture through. As opposed to using regular plastic which would trap the moisture (i have a humid basement). However, i just found out that tyvek is combustible and shouldn't be placed close to heating sources (i.e, my furnace). Any other ideas what i could use?. I dont want to put something too permanent such as screwing in sheetrock since i also have my plumbing and electrical up there and may need acceess to it.
thanks for any advice

Al

Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-05, 09:48 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

How about put a drop down in. That way you can get back into it anytime. Thats all we use in the basement anymore.

ED

Old 06-10-05, 11:14 AM
al_bundy
Visiting Guest
thanks Ed for your reply. What's a drop down made of (material)? Is this something i can pick up in homedepot?.
thanks
Al

Old 06-10-05, 01:16 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

Home depot and lowes have them you just put up the T bars and drop in the tile. Can put a clear plastic in and just let a light above it shine down. Have put Xmass lights above the clear panels in the ceiling turn them on and its Party time.

ED