Poured concrete wall along stairwell

Old 06-16-05, 11:26 AM
real1056
Visiting Guest
Poured concrete wall along stairwell

I am in the process of beginning to finish my half basement which is adjacent to a crawlspace; halfway down the basement steps is the poured concrete wall that separates the crawlspace from the basement. What options do I have to "finish" this poured concrete wall that runs along the steps. I do not believe I could do any framing that close to the wall since it would come out directly onto the steps. I am also aware that I cannot just apply drywall directly to the concrete although that would make life easier. Any suggestions?

thanks john

Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-05, 12:06 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 260 Votes on 230 Posts
You may be able to strip the wall with 1x3or4's and that way hang the whole wall. Otherwise you would just frame top of wall and cover it. Don't forget to install an acess door to the crawl space if you don't have one elsewhere.

Old 06-20-05, 10:56 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Actually we are doing a similar project tonight. We are finishing our basement and the stairway runs along the outside wall. The bottom half of the stairway runs along the concrete. I have been researching this a lot and the best approach I have found is to build out from the wall with 1x2's made from pressure treated lumber. (Cut them yourself with a table saw or circular saw if you want them straight. We used wood left over from making the base plates.) You will then use these 3/4" furring strips and concrete screws to fur out the wall. They sell foam insulation strips that are designed to be put between the strips on the wall to provide a small amount of insulation. Make sure you run some strips at the top of the wall and along the steps so you have something to screw the drywall into. When you do the drywall you may have to notch it around each step, which is a pain. In the end, the lower part of the wall will stick out around 3/4" onto the steps further than the top part, but you can add some trim to make it look ok. (Our neighbors have done this in their basement and it looks ok.)

Good luck!

Old 06-21-05, 07:26 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
We furred out the concrete wall last night and it wasn't as hard as I feared. It only took us around 3 hours. First we added a PT 1x2 furring strip along the top and then added small pieces at the bottom, along the profile of the stairs. We used concrete screws. You use a hammer drill to drill the holes and then a regular drill to attach the screws to the concrete. We then started along the side and added vertical furring strips. After adding each strip we put in a 14 1/2 inch wide 3/4 inch foam panel. (They came conveniently precut to that width.) A latex foamboard adhesive was applied to the wall with a caulk gun before sticking the foam in place. The next furring strip was then added to wall right along the edge of the foam, pressing it tightly to the foam to eliminate gaps. After the rough inspection tomorrow, we can cover it with drywall. We have to make sure we use drywall screws that are compatible with PT wood. Hope this description helps anyone doing a similar project.