will mold occur under vapor barrier?

Old 06-20-05, 11:31 AM
goskiing99
Visiting Guest
will mold occur under vapor barrier?

I have an old dirt floor 4' crawl space, and we just recently had 6" of rain in 24 hours, and water was coming in through(under?) the stone wall foundation. I was in the midst of putting down a poly covering over the dirt when the storm came, and am now wondering if it will mold UNDER the poly (between the poly and the dirt)? I had planned on covering the poly with some crushed stone. Should I not be concerned about molding under the poly? Should I forget the poly and just put the stone directly on top of the dirt? I am wondering about future storms and the water that will collect under the poly. OF course my sump pump will get the major water, but, inevitably, there will be some pockets of small puddles/moisture under the poly. I do not know if the mold will be an issue, with the crushed stone on top of the poly. Within a few days after the storm, thanks to my good old sump pump and a dehumidifier, the basement is starting to dry out. And yes, we are installing gutters around the roof to help in the future!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-05, 04:13 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
occur under vapor barrier?

Keep putting down the poly. Cover it with rock to keep it in place.

The poly will keep the moisture levels down and make the areas above less likely to have a mold/moisture problem.

The poly will not contribute to the mold. Mold needs moisture and food (cellulose preferable for most types). Cutting off air circulation does not cause mold to grow. If any mold decides to grow in the ground (doubtfull unless you include mushrooms), the poly will prevent the spores from moving into the living areas and the wood above.

Dick