Crawl space encapsulation

Old 07-12-05, 03:40 PM
brian5
Visiting Guest
Crawl space encapsulation

Does anybody know about crawl space encapsulation and the companies that do it? Is it a good idea? Worth the money? I have done many projects (and will do more) that require me to be under the house, and currently moisture, condensation, and bugs are all problems I have with my crawl space.

Thanks, Brian

Old 07-13-05, 11:15 AM
benj
Visiting Guest
Brian,

If what you mean is the complete enclosure of the crawlspace with thick plastic from "floor" to sil plate, I am looking into this now (see my post on the same page). I got an estimate from this company - http://www.basementsystems.com - and not only were they very expensive (almost 5000 dollars just to seal it, plus another couple grand for a dehumidification system), but they did not have me completely convinced. While I think their product does what it says it will do, they mentioned that the humidity in my crawlspace would be reduced 15-20 percent. While this is a somewhat significant reduction, I can't warrant spending that kind of money when my hopes were for a very dry crawlspace.

But check them out. They are national, and should send you a free info kit.

Old 07-14-05, 07:59 PM
brian5
Visiting Guest
We have them coming out for a free estimate, but I'm not entirely convinced, either, that it will do a lot more than a good thick plastic and some vent fans will. But we'll listen to their pitch and go from there. I think part of the intrigue is not having to get down there and do it myself!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: