black mould - help!

Old 08-03-05, 03:34 PM
billy_5555
Visiting Guest
black mould - help!

hi,
i recently bought a house with a "finished" basement but have discovered black mould behind most of the walls, mostly concentrated in the bottom 5" of the walls. This includes interior partition walls. I am removing what i can and replacing it but there are a few areas of drywall that i can't take out b/c it would mean completely destroying a bathroom.

i plan on washing these areas with a water/bleach solution. my question is: will washing the drywall with bleach be enough to kill the mould and stop it from growing further?? And 2) are there any products out there that you can just spray or paint on to cover and kill the mould and stop it from growing?
Thanks,

Old 08-03-05, 05:32 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Although not familiar with 'black' mold, bleach is very effective at killing mold and mildew. If the mold is killed but not completely removed a good coat of paint should stop it from returning.

Old 08-03-05, 06:00 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
black mould - help!

If you don't attack the moisture problem now, when you have the ideal time, you will kick yourself in the future.

Dick

Old 08-04-05, 06:23 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
[QUOTE=Concretemasonry]If you don't attack the moisture problem now, when you have the ideal time, you will kick yourself in the future.

GOOD POINT!!! if the problem that caused the damage/mold in the first place isn't fixed all the damage will reappear.

Old 08-04-05, 12:30 PM
billy_5555
Visiting Guest
Thanks,
the moisture problem has already been corrected. i'm just concerned about the areas of drywall that i can't replace. i have cleaned, disinfected and bleached those areas but i was just wondering if there was anything else i can do.
Thanks!

Old 08-04-05, 09:26 PM
PhilC
Visiting Guest
Word of caution that may be too late. You should know EXACTLY what type of mold you are dealing with BEFORE removing or demolition begins. Many types are toxic and the spores become airbourne when disturbed leading to serious health problems.

If I may ask, how did you correct the moisture problem? Mold insuch low proximity to the basement foundation wouldn't indicate to me a "quick fix". Just wondering what you found to be the source of the moisture.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: