"floating" basement floor

Old 09-01-05, 02:38 PM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
"floating" basement floor

Good afternoon,

I just moved to New Jersey and found my new basement to contain something that I have never seen before: a 4 inch gap between the unfinished basement wall/foundation and the cement floor.

The gap contains gravel and there is a sump pit in one corner but no sump pump.

Here is my question, assuming that the design is done to channel water to the pit; what do I use to build out the walls and/or the floor to finish off the basement?

I would assume that standard 2x4's and dry wall are out due to the potential of moisture .

Thoughts and comments

Thx

Michael

Old 09-01-05, 05:01 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fascinating....

Sounds "similar" to issues we have here in Colorado with basement floors tending to float upwards due to the expansive nature of the soil. We pour the floor to the wall, and use expansion joints between the two. We also are required to build "floating" walls in our basements during finish outs in the event the floor rises - potentially causing the new walls to lift the house off the foundation.

I'd find out "why" it's there - and go from there. You can always build your new walls a few inches off the basement walls with no problems..... Call a basement remodeler for a free estimate - while he's there - ask him "what's with the gap".... They can be invaluable sources of free info. Plus it gives you an idea what you can save by DIY. ( I am saving 70% on my basement addition right now - and have been able to buy lots of new toys in the process "Honey - I really need it"..)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: