Block wall paint removal (HELP!)

Old 09-08-05, 11:21 AM
chubby dartetr
Visiting Guest
Block wall paint removal (HELP!)

Hi all,

I woul like to remove old paint from block walls in my basement. What is the best way to remove the paint so i can apply drylok?

Thanks so much

Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-05, 11:26 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sandblasting.........

Honestly, I don't know of any method to rid yourself of paint in the millions of nooks and crannies you'll find in cinder blocks....

I'd suggest heading to a knowledgeable paint store to find out what sort of primer might work instead...........

Old 09-14-05, 08:07 PM
P
Drylock will cover old paint but is not warrentied for it. My wall was covered with what looked like silver spray paint. 25 coats of dry-lok later and its no longer leaking.

The only option is sandblasting...which is messy and expensive.

Old 09-19-05, 08:13 AM
A
I just encountered the same problem. Ah-yes...lovely flaking sea foam green paint. Sandblasting was not an option for us. We used a high pressure power-washer (2500psi-4500psi) and wet/dry vac. This is NOT a fun job, but it had to be done. I'm now in the process of Dry-Loking.

Good Luck ;-)
Ang

Old 10-13-05, 01:25 PM
C
Lightning Strip

I'm in the process of doing this as well. It seems my block walls were painted then drylock or something simlilar was added. I tried about 25 different strippers and could barely get anything done. I was searching for something better than drylock and came upon this site.

www.radonseal.com

I can't fouch for their sealers or coatings and what-not (though I plan on trying the radon seal for block walls when i get the paint stripped), but the site recommended a product called lightning strip. It's a wood stripper, but man it is making short work of the block walls.

Spray it on...wait a bit, scrape off the topcoat (which involves very little elbow grease). To get in the nooks and crannies I'm spraying on a second coat and scrubbing it in with a wirebrush, letting it set, then wirebrushing again.

Water clean up...low fumes..I love the stuff.