repairing brick foundation/basement

Old 09-13-05, 02:11 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I'm considering a house for an investment property, but have been informed that the brick basement/foundation is unstable (though folks have been living in it). How difficult/costly is it to repair that in place? Let's assume it's a total loss, needs complete replacement. The house is a 1 1/2 story 100 years old.

Could you dig footings and put in a floor jack and I-beam system all around the perimiter (inside the existing foundation)? Or would you have to jack up the whole house, demo the brick foundation and pour a new concrete one in its place?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-05, 04:03 PM

If foundation replacement is necessary, the house is usually "underpinned" (supported with temporary columns or cribbing, the walls removed and new walls built). Usually concrete block is used since it is difficult to form and pour concrete close up to the sills.

If you put in a I-beam system, you would have to build new spread footingd for all the columns to support the house. you would have to support the house while you did ti.

How says the foundations is "unstable"? - It may just look bad or leak, but that is a different problem.

Dick

Old 09-14-05, 08:33 AM
If I understand correctly, it is crumbling or dropping out in some areas allowing the house to settle unevenly.

The underpinning sounds like a) Not a DIY project even for an advanced DIYer and b) pretty expensive and c) probably not cost effective on a fairly plain 1400 SF farmhouse.

Would you tend to agree?

Old 09-14-05, 12:54 PM

Not a DIY job definitely.

Costly - yes.

Worth it? - Depends on the value of the structure.

If the land is valuable, some people put is a new foundation to preserve the grandfather rights for rebuilding the structure later.

Dick

Old 09-14-05, 12:55 PM
E
a) Yes
b) Yes
c) Yes

It would years before you got a return on that investment.