Possible mold behind basment wall

Old 09-26-05, 09:33 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

A year ago this last spring we had a lot of rain. I left the basement window open a crack to find one room soaked due to the water coming in. The wall (plasterboard) was soft and pliable from the wetness. We set up fans and a DH and had the area dried in a matter of 72 hours. Since then I have noticed a very musky smell that at times seems to get stronger. Being that the cat litter box is in this same area I have been hesitant to assume it could be a mold problem. There has been no visible sign of mold under the carpet in this area (checked several times). Is there a way to test for mold behind the wall without cutting a hole in it?

Old 10-11-05, 11:34 AM
howz
Visiting Guest
Remove the litter box and see if the smell remains.

Old 10-11-05, 12:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

No way to avoid looking if you have a strong suspicion and really want to know.

If you do explore, you can take a small sample to see if it is a dangerous mold or something you chose to live with.

Dick

Old 11-29-05, 06:32 PM
Eric W.
Visiting Guest
In order to really know, you have to cut a portion of the drywall to see the other side. I would suggest using a hole saw down near the bottom of the wall. If it turns out that nothing is there, you can use the cut portion as part of your patch.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: