Attic vapor without soffit vents

Old 09-27-05, 07:06 PM
Johann
Visiting Guest
Attic vapor without soffit vents

I have a 100 year-old victorian with a very usable attic which I'd like to convert to a studio. The attic has no ceiling - just exposed rafters and roof structure (asphalt tiles on wood). The attic is currently ventilated by four windows. I intend insulating between the rafters, and to install a ceiling between the rafters - keeping the bottom of the rafters visible. This will effectively seal off the roof sub-structure from the attic's ventilation. The house has neither soffit vents nor ridge vents. How do I deal with vapor build-up without having to install soffit and/or ridge vents?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-05, 06:34 PM
1913Tuxedo
Visiting Guest
I have a very similar problem so am interested in any replies. I am renovating the living space of the attic in my 92 yr old story and 1/2. I am removing the knee walls to add storage (currently almost non-existant). There is no ventilation besides one window, and the sloped area above the knee walls is insulated right to the roof. The roof is in great shape as are the trusses, etc. Do I follow what was done previously or should I add some kind of ventilation. I don't want to remove the drywall on the sloped part of the roof unless I have to.

Sorry for piggy-backing the thread...