I Beam and Framing

Old 10-08-05, 07:49 AM
radio
Visiting Guest
I Beam and Framing

About to embark on the finishing of the basement. I want to use the steel I beam running down the middle of the basement as sort of a top plate for some stud walls. Is there a good way to attach the wood top plate to the beam? Metal Strap? Glue? Maybe glue to steel beam and concrete nail the p/t bottom plate? Would that hold? Glad I joined the forum. Thanks in advance.

Scott

Old 10-08-05, 09:20 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Scott,

Take a look at these. You can use adhesive or use a Hilti to attach to beam.

http://dougaphs.smugmug.com/gallery/458998/1

Hope this helps!

Old 10-08-05, 03:53 PM
radio
Visiting Guest
Thanks Doug,

Gonna go with the adhesive AND wrap some straps around to hold it solid.

Scott

Old 10-08-05, 03:57 PM
Scott,

You're welcome. Glad the pictures helped. You really don't need any strapping.

Good Luck!

Old 10-10-05, 11:32 AM
R
I went with the adhesive route. Used some clamps to hold it to the beam for 24 hours and they are on there and they aren't coming off that beam without a fight! I made sure to use an abrasive pad on the beam to get the loose surface debris/rust/peeling paint to make sure I had a good foundation to glue the stud.

I saw with my ramset that you could put nails into metal, but I didn't feel comfortable doing it. It's bad enough that you have to worry about your framing nailer, let alone a powder actuated projectile flying around the room.

Ron

Old 10-15-05, 08:21 AM
KJF15
Visiting Guest
I am also looking at framing around an IBeam ...

Are you saying that the top plate is attached to the IBeam through adhesive and nothing else?

Old 10-15-05, 08:32 AM
radio,

I saw with my ramset that you could put nails into metal, but I didn't feel comfortable doing it. It's bad enough that you have to worry about your framing nailer, let alone a powder actuated projectile flying around the room

Using the Hilti properly, the nailing into the beam is easy and extremely secure. The adhesive is fine as long as we have some parition walls that assist in restricting any lateral movement. You don't want this moving at all should someone lean too hard, etc.

Hope this helps!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: