Help w/basement walls waterproofing/painting

Old 10-13-05, 05:22 AM
polyad
Visiting Guest

We live in a Historic Victorian home in Maryland. We have a stone foundation. The basement floor was partially dug and concreted and a French Drain was installed. The channels take water to a sump pump for removal to the outside. Our walls need waterproofing and painting. A contractor wants $2,000 to do the job. My wife and I are retired and think we can do it. What procedures would be recommended. Much of the mortar between the stone needs repointing and filling. What type of mortar and paint should we use to waterproof and finish the job. THANKS for any suggestions.

Old 10-13-05, 06:07 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
The mortar definetly needs to be addressed first. I believe using the ready mix mortar [sold at all hardware & lumber stores - just add water] should be fine for fixing the joints.

I've never waterproofed any stone but would assume the same products used for block or poured concrete would work. I usually use Drylok [1 or 2 coats] There are also other products available for waterproofing masonary.

Old 10-13-05, 09:22 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

Use a Type N mortar. It is better suited for this use than the stronger mortars like Type S and Type M.

Dick

Old 10-13-05, 04:53 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Dick

Aren't the ready mix bags of mortar type N?
I always assumed they were, but don't know for sure.

Old 10-13-05, 07:55 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

There are 4 major types of mortar with varying proportions of portland cement and other cementitious materials. The types in decreasing order of strength are Type M, Type S, Type N and Type O. The major difference is the proportioning of cementitious materials (portland cement, masonry cement , lime, ...), The specification also states that the sand volumes must be between 2 1/4 to 3 times the voume of the cementitious materials. That is the specification (ASTM C270) for the mortar as it is mixed.

The prepackaged mortar you buy at a big box or building material is a convenience item that meets the specification of whichever type you wish. The most commonly used mortar for general construction is still proportioned on the job site because many mason contractors like the use slighly different proportions of different cemetiotious materials within the spec range for that type oif mortar.

Type N is probably the most common because it is supposed to be the most workable and contains less cement (cheaper) than Type M or Type S. The strength is still satisfactory for most masonry projects except where very high mortar strengths are required. High compressive strength is not always desireable since it many not have other very desireable properties that are very important (workability, water retention, bond...)

The appendix of the product specification (ASTM C70) for mortar recommends using the WEAKEST mortar possible that will carry the structural loads.

No one has ever figured out if mortar holds masonry units together or keeps them apart.

Dick

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: