How deep are sump pits?

Old 10-18-05, 10:17 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How deep are sump pits?

Wondering, how deep are sump pits? Reason i ask is that right now I do not have an official sump pit, but I have made an ad hoc one in a basement-floor-level enclosure coming out of the back of my raised ranch. Would always see water rising up here in heavy heavy rain, so it was the spot I tackled with a plastic bucket and an auto on/off pump.

Well, this weekend, after 9 days of rain and then torrential for a day, the pit was filling seemingly just as fast as my pump could pump! I think it saved us from a major disaster but we did still get some water down there...coming in from the foundation on all sides.

So back to the question, is this an effective substitute for a real groundwater sump pit? I dug the hole down about a foot from the level of the basement floor, just outside the perimeter of the wall. Are real sump pits deeper than that? And if I have a groundwater sump pit in this general vicinity, would this stop water from all areas of house perimeter or would drainage tiles be needed for that?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-05, 08:58 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
keniz138,

This should help you on what sizes are available.

http://www.conservtech.com/Products/sump.html

Hope this helps!