should I cover turbine roof vents in winter?

Old 10-25-05, 09:27 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
should I cover turbine roof vents in winter?

The home we purchased this summer is in northeast Texas. Winters are mild. We get plenty of constant breeze where we live.

The 1700 SF house with gable roof has three turbine roof vents, soffit vents, and a whole house attic fan. The builder suggested we cover the three turbine roof vents in the winter, but I'm reading in some places that they should be left uncovered for attic ventilation. What do you recommend? If they should be covered, what with? Do manufacturers make covers for their vents? What are they made of?

Shari

Old 10-25-05, 05:22 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
I vote... don't cover them.

With an older, poorly insulated house I think there was a reason for covering vents. All the heat was leaking up through the ceiling and people did whatever they could. With a more modern insulated house I don't think there is much reason to close vents. The insulation in the ceiling is designed to hold the heat in, not the roof and it's vents.

Old 11-03-05, 05:52 PM
L
no no no... it will stop gas fumes from getting built up, and if the attic heats up ICE will build up on the roof and u don't want that to happen..

Old 11-03-05, 08:22 PM
IHI
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If you lived in the midwest where I'm at I would tell you to get rid of them asap and install normal roof vents. Seen too many ceiling stains, standing snow in the attic in the winter, as well as wind blown rain going stright into the attic with those whirle birds.

The principal is good, but design is not.

Old 01-04-10, 10:02 AM
U
covering turbines, a no-no

Having been a builder & building supply retailer for 20+ yrs. I tell you never cover any vents on the roof. Turbines work with any kind of intake but ridge vents are only ornaments without adequate intake, plus they will clog with dust and trash blown into them. On high humidity days in the winter, if you have covered your vents, that snow your seeing is actually frost forming on your insulation and roof sheating. Some people don't like the looks of them, but they don't have to be seen. The tops of the turbines should be installed so only 2" is above roofline. There is defininetly a difference in brands, and you should get the alum. w/sealed ball bearings. I won 1 steel turbine once in my first house, and i bought 1 alum. and installed both. About 2 yrs. the steel one quit turning and had to be replaced, plus it started rusting. About the rain in, i was concerned and in a litteral downpour w/wind, i was in attic and stuck my hand up in vent and no water. They must be installed properly. Hope this helps.

Old 01-04-10, 10:21 AM
U
Definitely do no cover the turbines. The attic needs as much if not more venting in winter than in summer. I noticed you also have a whole house fan, which shouldn't be used in winter. Now if you were talking about a whole house roof vent (powered), they work off temp. and don't work in the winter unless they have a humidistat added to them. This item is purchased separately and is not applied by some builders to save a little money.

Old 01-04-10, 12:12 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Good advice. Just 4 years too late for the OP.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: