Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Cutting open the basement cement wall and other stuff

Old 10-26-05, 07:18 AM
wquarta
Visiting Guest

Hi
I live in Boston, MA. Before starting the basement finishing project, that will require all sort of permits, I was thinking to:
1) Cutting a new window opening on the wall that faces the backyard (poured concrete wall)
Question: do I need a permit to do it? A company I contacted to do the job said that it is not really necessary, and that if I open a window in a basement wall is not like they are going to ask me to close it afterward.

2) Enlarge the door that from the basement goes to the garage, to put a bigger door and have the possibility to store my HD bike on the basement during winter
Question 1: do I need a permit to enlarge the door? (I know I would have to use a fireproof door)
Question 2: Can I keep a bike in the basement or there is any law against it?

3) Opening a small round hole in the wall close to where the furnace is installed, to have a new vent installed (this because in my basement finishing project, the area with the furnace would remain enclosed without a window (and is the same area where the byke would be)
Question: do I need a permit for the hole?

4) I was planning to do the finishing project myself, even if it will take me for ever. But I am very inexperienced with the coding and bureaucratic part: do you know any company that can do just the plan preparations and permit pulling without having to pay them like they are planning to build the next Guggenheim museum?

Thanks so much for your help!
Best Regards
William

Old 10-26-05, 07:26 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
William,

You are asking the wrong folks. Maybe you are searching for our blessing, sorry, can't help you there.

The company you contacted is not doing this right. I doubt their intentions are to your benefit other than money. They probably said "Oh, we'll save you some money by not getting a permit". Wrong!

Whatever you are doing down there, a PERMIT is required. Your questions should be addressed to your Local Building Department - Not here.

Anyone answering this saying that it is OK is not abiding by our Forum Policies. We do not promote Code Violations.

Hope this helps!

Old 10-26-05, 07:41 AM
wquarta
Visiting Guest
Thanks

Thank you Doug
I do not plan to go against any code, which is why I am asking. Not searching for any blessing either: the last thing I want to do is to get in trouble or to have a house that would become difficult to sell because plenty of unlawful stuff.

I hoped that some of you guys could help with suggestions to any of my multiple questions; that would help me to either find different and easier ways to accomplish with objectives, or at least to work better with the Local Building Department. I went there just once, and if you are not experienced and know exactly what you want to do and how, they would not help much (after all they are not there to be my consultants).
Thanks again
William

Old 10-26-05, 07:52 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Bill,

I understand. Trying to save money and being Code compliant is an issue to deal with.

The best thing I can recommend is to seek out a designer or a good general contractor who can provide drawings as to what you will be doing. That company you talked to could provide this, maybe.

Issues of headers required, storage of bike within home - probably not - Fire Code issue there, proper venting for furnace room - how. These, when submitted to the City, will get you that Permit if all things are within Code and noted on drawings. Sometimes a good hand drawing will suffice.

Sorry about being evasive on the questions but you can understand our Policies and issues of liability.

Good Luck!

Old 10-26-05, 08:03 AM
wquarta
Visiting Guest
Thank you again

I totally understand!!!!

And I do appreciate it: I am just trying to do the right thing... while understanding it (I moved here from a country where everything is done in concrete and bricks.... home improvement here is a whole different planet...)

So, thanks again
Regards
William

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: