Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Create hole to outside for basement bathroom vent

Old 10-26-05, 08:36 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

For my new bathroom in my basement I need to comlete the vent to the outside. I currently have the pipe to the vent in the bathroom running up between the floor joists. I saved this job for last. The ceiling where the pipe is run to is a hallway outside the bathroom and it has a drop ceiling so I can get up there to complete the job. I need to run the pipe the remainin 3' and drill a hole to the outside for the vent to be complete.
I have a poured foundation but I need to vent above that because of the ceiling height.

1. What is the best way to drill a hole 4" hole through the outside 2-by board. I have a good 1/2 drill, is there a type of 4" bit I could buy? ...Or should I rent a special tool? (I also have a jig saw).

2. What is the best way to drill through the brick exterior? Should I just create a series of holes with a masonary bit and then chisel the rest?

Thanks, plex4r.

Old 10-27-05, 09:26 PM
plex4r,

1. What is the best way to drill a hole 4" hole through the outside 2-by board. I have a good 1/2 drill, is there a type of 4" bit I could buy? ...Or should I rent a special tool? (I also have a jig saw).

You could drill holes within the circumfrence and chisel out accordingly or use a sawzall (reciptrocating saw).

2. What is the best way to drill through the brick exterior? Should I just create a series of holes with a masonary bit and then chisel the rest?

Yes to all!

Hope this helps!

Old 10-28-05, 06:46 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Originally Posted by plex4r
1. What is the best way to drill a hole 4" hole through the outside 2-by board. I have a good 1/2 drill, is there a type of 4" bit I could buy? ...Or should I rent a special tool? (I also have a jig saw)..

You can use a 4" hole saw. [a big round bowl like bit with teeth like a saw]

Old 10-28-05, 07:02 AM
Plex4r,
You have not said exactly where the vent for the toilet is terminating. It cannot just go outside. Codes (different in some areas) require that vents be a certain distance above windows and doors of dwellings. Hope I just misunderstood your post. Good luck.

Old 10-28-05, 07:50 AM
majakdragon,

Good point - I may have misunderstood as well. I was assuming exhaust vent but now I realize it sounds like a vent stack.

Old 10-31-05, 06:59 AM
P
Location of vent

majakdragon and Doug,

Thanks for your comments. This is just a vent, sorry for the confusion.

The only place I have to run it is above the door to the walkup stairwell. This would put the vent about 3' above and just to the right of the door.

What are some of the typical code restrictions for this distance?

Thanks, plex4r

Old 10-31-05, 07:03 AM
P
Not a toilet vent, this is exhaust vent.

This is just the exhaust from an fan on the bathroom ceiling

The vent for the toilet, sink, and shower was a rough-in built with the house. It goes up through the center of the house in a combined vent stack through the roof.

So is it OK to run the exhaust vent above a door?
The basement is entirely underground and I dont know where else I would vent this.

Thanks, plex4r

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: