Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Tear down half insulation in basement before finishing?

Old 10-31-05, 01:59 PM
Stealthrunner
Visiting Guest

Ok, I have found LOTS of good information, but a post from back in August didn't seem to get a full answer on something I need to know.

I have a poured concrete foundation. I am going to use Drylock on the interior foundation wall for overkill even though there are no water issues in the house that is only 4 years old.
The part of the foundation that is above ground in the basement, I guess the top 4 to 5 feet, has a roll of insulation going around with a foil cover.

My question(s) is:

Should I tear this down and start from scratch?
If I leave it up there, should I Dry Lock the lower portion of the foundation?

I will put up a plastic vapor barrier at some point before the drywall.

I can take a picture and link it if that helps.

Thanks for all the useful information. I have learned alot and answered many of my own questions just reading other posts.

Old 10-31-05, 02:40 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

If you are in Canada, you may have to leave the insulation. The concept of insulating down to that magical level is a part of the Canadian code, but not a concept in many U.S. requirements for northern states. If in Canada, check with you code people.

If you are in the U.S, you should be able to remove it, apply a waterproofer and finish/insulate the interior as you chose.

Dick

Old 10-31-05, 06:30 PM
Stealthrunner
Visiting Guest
I'm in Ohio. So if no restrictions by law, you would redo, and put that insulation in the floor joists or something?

Old 11-01-05, 10:51 AM
B
Check with your local codes department. In many areas of the US, the code requires all exterior walls above ground to be insulated. So we get the same half wall of insulation in our basements here in VA because the codes inspectors want all portions of walls above ground insulated. It is a good bet that it may be required in your area as well or the builder probably wouldn't have gone to the time and expense to install it.

Old 11-02-05, 07:05 AM
T
Blizzard -

I'm in NOVA also (Loudoun) and starting to finish my basement. I have the same situation as described above. I thought as long as you fully insulated the new wall you were OK. So I've started to pull down that 1/2 insulation (plus it was pretty much ripped to shreds due to previous owners cats using it to climb up to the windows) so I can get the new wall closer (about an inch) to the foundation without compressing the insulation. Think I'm OK doing that? I'd like to start framing this weekend.

Tom

Old 11-03-05, 10:38 AM
B
Originally Posted by tlogan
Blizzard -

I'm in NOVA also (Loudoun) and starting to finish my basement. I have the same situation as described above. I thought as long as you fully insulated the new wall you were OK. So I've started to pull down that 1/2 insulation (plus it was pretty much ripped to shreds due to previous owners cats using it to climb up to the windows) so I can get the new wall closer (about an inch) to the foundation without compressing the insulation. Think I'm OK doing that? I'd like to start framing this weekend.

Tom
You are still going to have insulation on the section of wall above grade right? There is nothing wrong with insulating the whole wall, the codes are minimum requirements in a lot of cases, and the minimum requirement is that the above grade portion of the wall be insulated. As long as you do at least that, you should be okay.

Have you checked out Loudoun's website - they have a pretty good deal of information for basement finishing. It is a good site.

http://www.loudoun.gov/b&d/basements.htm

Old 11-07-05, 07:41 AM
T
Blizzard -

Yes, I checked out the site. And the drawing does not show any requirement for that exisitng foil backed insulation on the above grade section of the wall. As you say, it appears as though that drawing is "suggestions." I just don't want to pull it all down and then find out that if it WAS there, it needs to STAY there. I plan to leave it in the unfinished areas, so it will be obvious that it was there at some point. I just don't want to pull it down, frame everything up and then find out that it has to go back up. That would be a pretty hard job without pulling the framing back down.

Where in NOVA are you? PM me...I'd like to pick your brain.

Tom

Old 11-07-05, 07:51 AM
A
I had the same thing

in my basement. I went the complete opposite from you. I applied 1.5" XPS foam insualtion to the bottom half of the wall. This gave me an r value of about 7. Then I filled the walls with R11. It makes the basement the warmest room in my house now.

Old 11-07-05, 10:33 AM
B
Originally Posted by tlogan
Blizzard -

Yes, I checked out the site. And the drawing does not show any requirement for that exisitng foil backed insulation on the above grade section of the wall. As you say, it appears as though that drawing is "suggestions." I just don't want to pull it all down and then find out that if it WAS there, it needs to STAY there. I plan to leave it in the unfinished areas, so it will be obvious that it was there at some point. I just don't want to pull it down, frame everything up and then find out that it has to go back up. That would be a pretty hard job without pulling the framing back down.

Where in NOVA are you? PM me...I'd like to pick your brain.

Tom
The foil backed insulation is not a code requirement in itself. You can tear it down as long as you frame a wall with insulation in front of it. Just don't tear down the insulation and then frame a wall without any insulation in it. They just want to see insulation between the living space and the outdoors for above ground walls - it doesn't matter if it is the foil backed or regular batts in the framed wall.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: