Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Water problem, suggestion needed as to type of power vent

Old 11-14-05, 08:48 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

We had a new structure put on two years ago. Last year was our first full winter and it was a near disaster, we took on so much water from condensation. In the spring we had a ridge vent installed and round 2 inch vents every 2 feet in the soffets. Also the back of the attic has an octagon shaped vent on the attic wall. I don't trust the soffet vents for a few reasons, I don't think two inches every two feet is enough and mainly I think they are blocked by insulation so they will do no good. I think a good solution would be to add to the ridge vent and the octagon vent, I would like to add a power vent. What type should I add, one that goes on the opposite end where the octagon vent is? Should it be controlled by a humidistat or temp or on all the time? Or instead of a power vent on the wall, should we add one of those bell looking power vents on the roof? Thank you for bearing with my non-technical lingo. I would take any suggestions. BTW, if I put the vent on the wall, we have a stucco house, would have to cut the stucco, but that is not a problem. Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-05, 05:04 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Condensation in the winter means a lot of warm, moist air is entering the attic from down below. Vapor retarder should have been installed on attic floor before installing insulation. Some insulation has a vapor retarder attached and it should have been installed next to attic floor. Make sure you have the recommended R value for insulation in your area.

Before deciding to to anything, you need to make sure soffit vents are uncovered. Also, make sure nothing is vented directly into attic like bathroom or kitchen exhausts or dryer. Then, you can calculate whether or not you have adequate attic ventilation and learn about the different types of attic ventilation. Currently, the ridge vent with soffit ventilation is considered the most efficient. Humidity inside the home should be maintained between 35-55% measured with hygrometer (sold where they sell thermometers). Run dehumidifiers to reduce humidity.

For info on attic ventilation and how to calculate if you have an adequate amount, go to http://www.factsfacts.com/MyHomeRepair/ventilation.htm