How's my plan? Need input...

Old 11-15-05, 10:57 AM
eliasv
Visiting Guest
Question How's my plan? Need input...

I have a three year old home. I plan to frame my basement walls up to 6" away from my foundation wall (in order to avoid piping, etc...). I have no water issues in the basement and have a dehumidifier running. I have the following questions:

1. I have many settling cracks in my foundation walls, none of which are over 1/16" in width. No water or wetness apparent. I plan to fill these cracks with Drylock/Plug as a first step. Is this a good product for elastically filling cracks?

2. My wife painted 2 of the exterior foundation walls with a latex paint. I am unsure of the exact paint type, but understand that I cannot drylock over the painted walls. I planned to drylock my non-painted walls...but is there a
similar treatment that can work over a painted surface? I'm concerned about a consistant approach to the walls.

3. My basement floor (also dry) has a single 1/16" crack running its entire width...I plan to Dryplug it also. Should I also consider a sealant for the floor prior to installing carpet? If so, what? I don't think Drylock is supposed to be used on floors.

4. I originally planned to use poly insulation in my framing because I had an image of my children's alergies and wet batt in my walls. However, you need about 4" of poly to get significant R-value, and it seems to be a pain to work with. If I treat my foundation walls correctly, I think I can get by with an R-19 kraft faced insulation and avoid a seperate vapor barrier. Does this rationale make sense?

Sorry for the long post, thanks in advance.

Old 11-15-05, 02:10 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How's my plan? Need input...

You only have a 3 year history - Ever heard of a 50 or 100 year storm? - They come sooner than that.

Do you have gutters, downspouts and extensions?

Do you have drain tile and and positive drainage or a sump pump?

I have never heard of someone complaining about a dry basement. Complaining about a wet of humid basement is common.

Definitely filll all cracks in the floor and walls. You can open up small cracks and use a hydraulic cement patching material. Otherwise, use a sealer appropriate for the crack width.

DryLok claims to be able to penetrate and seal. It certainly would not be as effective over a previous coating.

Your shrinkage crack in floor should not increase in width unless you get water pressure under the floor slab. DryLok should not hurt. Do you have a poly vapor barrier under your slab?

Do you really want to insulate the basement to a high degree? Soil temperatures (55 degrees mim.) are not nearly a low as a air temperatures. A lot on money is wasted insulating basements. So may have to live with some prescriptive code requirements unless you have the opportunity to use more modern methods. An uninsulated basement wall is an asset in the summer (Ever heard of heat sinks in solar heated homes - same thing).

Dick

Old 11-15-05, 04:40 PM
T
Finished basement walls are required by code in my area to be insulated. I used Kraft faced fiberglass... Paper side to the inside of the room.

Old 11-15-05, 04:50 PM
Wink

We hang a 6 mil poly on the wall from the sill plate down. A p/t bottom plate.Put a R 13 in the stud walls paper to the room and a 4 mile poly over that . Then dry wall with a drop down ceiling so you can get back into it to move wires for lights, phone and TV . Also water leaks

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: