Bath rough plumb question

Old 11-16-05, 05:30 PM
mike1967
Visiting Guest
Bath rough plumb question

Getting ready to frame my half bath. Now, I know the finished wall behind the toilet drain has to be 12" from center of toilet drain. My question is the sink drain. It is located a few feet from the toilet drain, but it will be on the OUTSIDE of the finished wall a few inches, not in the wall like most sink drains. If i framed it IN the wall, I would be less than 12" on my toilet dimension since these two drains are along the same wall. Does this make sense. ANyway, do common vanitys hook up to a drain through the bottom, or what? Hopefully this is know big deal, and I can proceed.. Thanks for any replies

Old 11-16-05, 06:43 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I am a bit confused with your plan. If the toilet drain and vent are IN the wall, the vanity drain and vent should also be in the wall. Most vanities drain from the sink down and then go horizontal to the trap and then into the wall and into the drain/vent line. Good luck.

Old 11-16-05, 07:20 PM
mike1967
Visiting Guest
Basically the toilet drain and the sink drain are along the same wall. From the poured wall, the toilet drain is about 17" away, the sink drain about 12" away. So, when I put the wall in, the toilet drain (center) will be about 12" from the FINISHED wall. The sink drain about 8" from the FINISHED wall. I guess what Im asking is, can vanity's be set up to drain down(which will be 'down' in this case).

Old 11-16-05, 07:32 PM
If I understand this correctly, you should still have room (8") for a horizontal drainline including the trap. Otherwise you would be using an "S" trap. Not code in most places. The trap could be turned 90 degrees to the wall and then an elbow used to go to the wall if necessary. This would still be code. just a thought.

Old 11-18-05, 02:47 PM
N
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
They also make adapters for the 4" toilet drain that in essence shift the drain over a few inches. I think it just slips into the current toilet rough-in location. Not sure if this will help in your situation, but it would shift your toilet drain over and might be enough to frame the sink drain into the wall without losing your 12" clearance (I thought the clearance was supposed to be 15", but maybe I'm thinking of something else). The contractor that did our basement used one of these and it worked great. It saved him from having to crack up the entire floor just to move the toilet drain over a few inches. I think he might have still had to crack a bit of concrete away from the existing rough-in drain to get the adapter even with the floor, but it wasn't a big deal. Might be worth looking into.

Old 11-18-05, 03:54 PM
T
Originally Posted by mike1967
Basically the toilet drain and the sink drain are along the same wall. From the poured wall, the toilet drain is about 17" away, the sink drain about 12" away. So, when I put the wall in, the toilet drain (center) will be about 12" from the FINISHED wall. The sink drain about 8" from the FINISHED wall. I guess what Im asking is, can vanity's be set up to drain down(which will be 'down' in this case).
I "think" I see the point of confusion here.... Your sink drainpipe is sticking up from the floor about 12 inches from the concrete wall, meaning, once you put in your base cabinets, the sink drainpipes will eventually (after the trap) drain through the bottom of the cabinet rather than the back of the cabinet which is the "norm". "IF" I'm seeing this right... you will need to run a vent for the sink drain into the new wall and up...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: