Cracked foundation

Old 11-19-05, 03:21 PM
pamela5533
Visiting Guest
Cracked foundation

I have a horizontal crack across one wall of my basement. It has been caused by poor drainage. The wall has a slight bow. I've heard that pinning will stabilize the wall. How does this work? Any websites that show diagrams of the process?

Thanks,
Pamela

Old 11-19-05, 04:11 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
There are companies that specialize in stabilizing basement walls. This involves digging out along the affected basement wall with a backhoe. Anchors or other stabilization system can be installed that will take the bow out of the wall and crack repaired. Wall is usually tarred and plastic put on and then dirt is backfilled around foundation.

Make sure all moisture issues are addressed. Gutters and downspouts should be clear and carry water away from structure. Install drains on downspouts that carry water away from the structure. Splashguards do not carry water far enough away. Soil around house should be sloped so that water flows freely away from structure.

Old 11-19-05, 05:31 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cracked foundation

The reason you have a structural crack ia beacause of the high soil pressures. The high pressures are created by excess moisture in the soil that increases the weight and decreases the stability. The structural crack can be repaired by a number of means depending on the wall, crack location and soil type.

It is important to get rid of the bow, and the only reliable way is to excavate the soil. The excavation which will allow room for the wall to be moved back to its original position. While they are excavating (at least to the crack or below), it may pay to go a little deeper and install drain tile. The tile will drain the water away and prevent the build-up of the pressures again later.

Usually the barrier to installing tile on an existing structure is the excavation. Since they will be excavating, you ahould take advantage of the opportunity. I am surprised the contractor did not offer this also since it will help make his guarantee work something.

Make sure they do not put the same soil back in as backfill. The quality of the soil was one of the reasons for the failure. A stable, granular fill must be used.

Dick

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: