intalling concrete screws

Old 11-19-05, 10:21 PM
bobbuilder
Visiting Guest
Cool intalling concrete screws

I am attempting to install a subfloor over concrete in the basement, I have predrilled the 2 x 2's and starting to drill the floor for the concrete screws . I have burned up 2 bits drilling 4 holes!! I have done this before but never encountered concrete so hard to drill- I am using masonary bits= any advice is appreciated, or an easier way to install this subfloor........... thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-05, 12:31 AM
darren_1974
Visiting Guest
Are you using a hammer drill? If you're using the bits that came with your tapcons, they are junk, and won't last.

Old 11-20-05, 02:28 PM
bobbuilder
Visiting Guest
I am NOT using a hammer drill, bought tapcon masonary bits at home depot. I was told that using a hammer drill will make the hole too big for the screws!?

Old 11-20-05, 04:23 PM
darren_1974
Visiting Guest
You NEED a hammer drill. It will not make the holes too big. Don't use drill bits made by Tapcon. They are junk, trust me.

A better, faster method is to use a ramset and construction adhesive. Put a bead on the bottom of the sleeper, press it into place, then fire a nail every 3 feet. It'll never move.

Old 11-20-05, 05:03 PM
bobbuilder
Visiting Guest
Have tried a ramset, but they don't go in deep enough, what size nails do you suggest, and do I need to predrill the sleeper?

Old 11-20-05, 05:14 PM
darren_1974
Visiting Guest
I use 2.5" nails with yellow Remington charges. The green charges that Remington recomends will not sink the nail fully into aged concrete. You do not have to predrill. Much faster. I gave up on Tapcons years ago.

Old 11-20-05, 06:19 PM
bobbuilder
Visiting Guest
Thanks, I'm gonna try again..... will keep you posted!

Old 11-21-05, 04:18 PM
bobbuilder
Visiting Guest
Ok-gave It A Second Attempt- Used A 2 1/2" Nail With A Yellow Load, Using A Remington Model #480 Gun, 3 Tries, Still Have Between 1/4" To 1/2" Of Nail Sticking Up........help! Question: Do The Loads Loose Power If They Are Old?? Probavly Dumb Question, But???

Old 11-21-05, 04:38 PM
darren_1974
Visiting Guest
The 480 is the trigger pull gun, right? You have to make sure you are pressing down very firmly to get a solid drive. If the charges are very old, they might have lost some power. You could try predrilling your sleepers. Very rarely do i ever get one that doesn't sink all the way. You must have some very hard concrete!

Old 11-23-05, 01:17 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
gun powder is gun powder so I doubt it is a problem with your loads (unless they are all underfilled).

I used a hammer hit ramset and noticed I didn't get as good of results with a regular hammer so I switched over to a mini-sledge.

The ramset works on recoil, so if you let the gun fly easy off the board when you trigger it, you will lose some of the force being transfered to the nailhead. When I hit the manual one with the mini-sledge, it helped keet the gun on the board and drive the nail in pretty far with very little head exposed.

Try to keep a lot of weight over the gun when you trigger it and try to minimize the recoil kicking the gun off the board. (but as always be careful using a ramset!)

Ron

Old 11-23-05, 03:45 PM
T
Shorter nails

If you're trying to install 2 1/2 inch nails into 2 X 2's... you're trying to force a good inch of nail into your hardened concrete - that's a bit much, IMO.

If you're using adhesive in combination with the nails.... I personally would suggest a 2 or 2 1/4 inch nail, maximum, with the "shooter". That gives you a solid 1/2 inch into the concrete. Once the adhesive dries... those 2X's aren't going anywhere. The nails provide lateral stability as well as downward pressure while the adhesive dries.

Old 11-23-05, 06:02 PM
IHI
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Maybe I'm being nieve or you guys read into better, he stated he's trying to install subfloor over concrete, which to me means he trying to install a sheet of 3/4" ply directly to the concrete itself? I hope I'm missing something and your guys's assumtion on he's trying to install sleepers is correct.

FWIW, I've been using Tapcons since they came out with excellent results. We've got a powder actuated gun and have tried it on many different homes with both new and old concrete/block/morotr joints. only time we could get the nails to take is when firing directly into mortor which is naturally softer than concrete and even then it would not take maybe 1 out of 4 hits...but it did cheisel itself a nice size chunk of material when it did'nt take.

I've still got some tapcon masonry bits in my hammer drill box from 2-3 years ago that are working good today. Steady pressure-jut dont let the hammer drill wing at 90,000 rpm with full body weight on it when drilling-let the bit do the majority of the work.

Old 11-23-05, 06:13 PM
darren_1974
Visiting Guest
He says in his first post that he is, in fact, trying to nail down 2x2's.

I shot some 2.5" nails to secure a sole plate to a concrete floor last night, and had no problems at all, and in most cases the nails were countersunk 1/4". I'm not sure why you guys are having troubles....must just be very hard concrete.

Old 11-29-05, 07:47 PM
Eric W.
Visiting Guest
The remarks about drill bits and ramsets got me wondering.

I am currently redoing my basement which has a concrete floor (30 yr. old house). I've been having lots of problems drilling into the concrete to anchor some floors (using Tapcon drill bits with a cordless hammer drill (Bosch 18V)).

I am looking to install carpet on top of a subfloor which would be resting on a frame work. Because of height issues, I would like to use the smallest/thinest frame work. What size wood or furring strips would you recommend? I plan on using a rented Hilti concrete nailer. Any thoughts on whether this will be adequte and what size nails I should be using? Also, what caliber charge should I use?