Steps to Basement Remodeling

Old 12-07-05, 06:30 PM
DIYRick
Visiting Guest
Steps to Basement Remodeling

I plan on finsihing my basement in the next 4-6 months. The walls are poured and no signs of water. I plan on utilizing Drylock, 2 x 4 framing studs and R-13 insulation in between the studs. In reading past posts I get confused with the two different types of barriers and the proper way to install them, or if I need to actually utilize both applications. Confussion also sets in on how far away from the wall I should start my framing.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-05, 07:56 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Well, looks like you have reached the area of debate when it comes to basements.
In my opinion, if you drylok the walls, that is also your vapor barrier.
Some here prefer to hang 6 mil plastic on the walls.
My experience has been the water vapor condenses , and feeds mold growth when it gets trapped behind the plastic.

I believe in the 1” separation rule also, keeping your 2X4 walls 1” inside the concrete, thereby creating a 1” air space. I built my basement this way, using pressure treated lumber for the sole plate, and regular untreated studs for the walls.
I insulated the walls R13, and kept the insulation away from the concrete walls. I used kraft faced insulation, and this helped me maintain the space, and is the vapour barrier needed for the room.

Every area has different moisture problems, so you need to do what’s best for your conditions, and also what is code in your area.

My basement had already been finished once before, and I saw through that demolition that using furrowing strips and solid insulation boards is defiantly NOT the way you want to finish a basement.
I researched for 3 months before I selected the method I used, only because it seemed the best fit for my local conditions. Your conditions may be different.

I am sure there are more that will ring in on the topic, so keep an eye on the thread.

Old 12-09-05, 11:19 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
My thoughts are similar to Stevetra's. I used a 2 x 4 treated base, and spaced my framed walls approx 1" away from the concrete walls. However, between the studded and concrete wall, I have 1/2" sheets of pink foam glued to the concrete walls. I was told this can act as a moisture barrier, it'll keep my bat insulation from coming in contact with the concrete wall, and it adds an addition r value of 3 to the insulation. Bat insulation is going between the studs, then 6 mil poly vapour barrier, then drywall.

My approach was based on all of the posts I reviewed in this forum, and from 3 local and successful basement basement finish projects in my area.

I'm still in the framing process, and am very confident in the steps I've taken thus far.