on subfloors and concreet in basement rooms

Old 12-08-05, 12:48 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
on subfloors and concreet in basement rooms

hello guys and gals,
i'm about to help a friend remodel his basement room and i did the same thing a year ago. each of us lives in oakland california and so the weather is pretty good, sometimes damp and always a chilly in the winters.

the problem i have, and want to research before we do his floor is partly that my basement room is cold, but also that it smells musty down there some times.

in my research so far, i've found that a lack of vents will promote moisture condnensation which is probably my problem. how can we avoid this with the new remodel? do we have to build an elivated floor over the concreet with 2x4's, insulate it, cover it with sub floor and then flooring? would that even solve the problem?

if so, would it be sufficient to just lay the subfloor and flooring and skip the elevated floor with fiberglass insulation? or, is there a vapor barier type sub flooring?

or, is a basement room always going to be moist. both of our rooms are at ground level. these are not rooms that are sunk in the ground. i have been in basment rooms sunk in the ground, how do they make those rooms without mosture problems.

thank you for all your advice and information. It makes the world a better place!

max

Old 12-10-05, 04:09 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Paint everything with 3 coats of Custom Building Products: RedGard Waterproofer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: