Soffit height

Old 12-30-05, 04:52 PM
mike1967
Visiting Guest
Soffit height

Hey all, just finishing up all my ductwork and soffit framing, and I just wanted to know what most people end up with (height) from the floor to the bottom of their ductwork framing. In my case, its about 6' 7". It seems a little low and now that I look at, I definitely could have made it an an inch or so higher...so let this be a lesson to everyone starting out, frame it in as close as possible, cause extra headroom really does make a difference.
Just wondering how other people in similiar situations liked the end result...also, is canned lighting a good idea in the duct framing or would it be irritating to have a light only 10 inches or so from your head??

Old 12-30-05, 09:11 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi Mike. I have same situation. My soffit height is about 6' 9". Also, I added lighting in the soffit as well. It turned out great. The height of the lights are no bother at all.
I like a lot of light and the recessed canned lights fit the bill. I don't use any lamps in my basement rec area.
-jasper

Old 12-31-05, 02:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
soffit height

Since you are installing the can lights in a relatively closed in area, and possibly insulated, make sure your lights are "IC" lights. This will allow for direct contact with insulation without causing heating problems.

Larry

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: