Glass block in basement wall section?

Old 12-31-05, 06:32 AM
slashlos
Visiting Guest

In my basement plans, the basement windows will not be in what end up being finished. They are not egress windows currently, but 16x24 andersons. In an adjacent room, exterior to the living space, there are. Does anyone have any feedback on installing a glass block section, say within a 2x4 frame, to allow in outside light?

I feel having daylight takes away that 'basement' feeling!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-05, 07:58 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

You can buy glass block panels manufactured into a frame. You just set the panel in place. Google or look in the yellow pages for "glass block" or Corning.

Depending on the size, two panels can be used because of the weight.

You can also get panels with vent sections.

Dick

Old 12-31-05, 08:12 AM
slashlos
Visiting Guest
Ah, thanks! I didn't realize they came in panels, with mounting flange. I think a 3-4' panel within my studs would be great.

Old 04-11-06, 05:30 PM
slashlos
Visiting Guest
Smile It looks great!

Well I installed the glass block in three sections, each approx. 14" x 32" using 3x8" and 6x8" blocks of the 'trimlite' series using a 3x4 grid pattern. No messy mortar involved. It uses a plastic track and grid system to encompass the panel and plastic spacers between blocks. Finish with a special clear silicone.

Now I have daylight streaming into my basement! It wasn't hard, easy and a LOT cheaper than prefab panels and I can size the panel to my needs [for between studs].

Hope this helps someone else!

Old 04-16-06, 07:45 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Slashlos: Dontcha love that system? I framed in a similar interior wall that had exterior light flooding onto the wall but no way to allow it to get into the room, so we decided on glass block. I cased it to 32 x32, bought 16 blocks and the installation kit, and had it installed within 35 minutes, including silicone between the glass. Looks great!