Finishing Stairwell

Old 01-03-06, 09:21 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Finishing Stairwell

Hi,

We're getting ready to finish our basement, but I'm stuck on what to do near the stairs. Our stairs are right next to the concrete block, with no room for a wall. I've attatched a few pictures here. I can come up with 3 solutions, but I was wondering if anyone had any advice about what they might do with this situation.

The foundation wall here is underneath the garage and living room and I've never seen moisture there. At the bottom of the steps, it's only a half wall with a crawlspace on the top half.

My thoughts are:

1) Seal concrete, then stick drywall to the blocks with a construction adhesive. I'm really tempted to do this. It's the easiest option, and it keeps me from having to rebuild the stairs or make them narrower. But I have no idea if that would work or be a good idea.

2) Take down stairs, build a wall from floor to top of foundation. Obviously this is a lot of work. I don't really want to have to tear down the stairs, plus since there are no trusses overhead, the wall would only be attatched at the bottom. I could nail it at the top where the trusses start behind and at the bottom of the stairs, but I don't know if that would be stable enough. I'd lose a little over 4" of width in the stairwell...

3) Build some sort of stepped wall attatched to the stair treads. This doesn't seem like a great idea to me. I'm pretty sure the stairs aren't meant to support a wall... But my wife seemed to think this is what we should do. Still has the problem of nothing on top to secure the wall to.

Any other suggestions?

Pictures are at:

http://www.math.ohio-state.edu/~ccunning/1.jpg
http://www.math.ohio-state.edu/~ccunning/2.jpg

Old 01-03-06, 09:45 AM
You could attach furrowing strips to the cinderblock wall, strips thick enough to match the stringer width that is against the wall currently, like maybe a 2X4 on its side. Then attach sheetrock and allow the sheetrock to extent down to the treads.
You would only loose the thickness of the sheetrock on your stair width.

Old 01-03-06, 10:07 AM
D
That would probably work. How would I attatch the 2x to the wall though? Can I use concrete nails into the block, or construction adhesive? Would it cause problems with the wood touching the block?

I wouldn't be able to insulate that wall much, but oh well... Of course the other issue is that this wall also needs an opening for access to the crawl space. My original idea had been to just put a normal interior door in front of the opening (it's a 3x2 rectangle on top of the foundation half wall) which I thought would look more attractive than some sort of plug or cabinet. But I'd need to fully frame out that wall for that. I can always hang art over it...

Old 01-03-06, 02:54 PM
Using Pressure treated lumber, you will be able to secure them with cut nails, or a ramset. If the wall is below the outside grade, I would shy away from nailing it up, just because you would be creating an avenue for moisture to intrude the space. Now if it is above grade, I wouldent think twice about attaching them with nails.
You could of course nail them to the stair stringer, and to the top plate of the wall.
The adhesive method will work also, but if it were me, I would still use pressure treated lumber, but I would let it weather for a week or so, and then place it in the basement and let it dry for a week or so.
I have used PT lumber that was so wet that the chemicals used to treat it would puddle in a hammer divot.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: