Nailing furring strips to concrete

Old 01-06-06, 12:59 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Nailing furring strips to concrete

I am planning on attaching 3/4" ACQ furring strips to my concrete basement wall and then nailing wainscoating to the strips. My basement is only half below grade level, so its only 3ft of concrete. Should I attach the furring strips with a nail gun? if so, what length nail should I use? Also any thoughts on the Remington .22 single shot for aroung $75? FYI I'm also sealing the wall with Drylok and putiing 3/4 rigid foam between the furring strips. Thanks.

Old 01-06-06, 01:12 PM
B
Also any thoughts on the Remington .22 single shot for aroung $75?
Eh, I blew one up. Of course I had been shooting into steel with it for several days. You would probably be fine with it though. I would check pawn shops for a used ramset 721 or hilti dxe72 usually you can pick them up for under 75 dollars and are much better tools.

Old 01-06-06, 02:11 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
If you are sealing the wall, you obviously suspect or want to keep out water. Driving nails or ramset pins through it will negate all your sealing effort. Glue the furring strips to the wall with a quality adhesive. That way, you will not be penetrating the only thing between you and water.

Old 01-09-06, 10:14 AM
S
I have a small section of wall where I used furring strips. The remington nailer split the material, so I ended using tapcon screws instead. Liquid nails also works great, provided you can find someway to apply conintuous pressure until it cures.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: