Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Alignment is off by 1" on main vent over 22' run? Should I correct?

Alignment is off by 1" on main vent over 22' run? Should I correct?

Old 01-08-06, 11:02 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Alignment is off by 1" on main vent over 22' run? Should I correct?

I am finishing my basment. I am 90% done with the framing. I am doing the soffits on the main vents. I used a 360 degree laser and it shows from one end to the other there is a 1" difference. I would have to taper the soffit from end to end. Is this worth while? I am worried when I put in the drop ceiling it will look like it is not level, when it actually will be. OPEN to any suggestions. Thanks in advance.......

PS: Thanks to this forum, I got some great ideas on how to build the soffit without losing too much headroom. :

Old 01-08-06, 12:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Build your boxes level with the lowest point on the vents. Drop your laser to pick up this point. That way, when you install your drop ceiilng it will all look level.

Old 01-08-06, 01:52 PM
I keep it aesthetically correct. Keep it all looking level. It will look bad if you were to install it out of level. Afterwards people who are in the basement would wonder if the soffit was off, or the drop ceiling was off. Staying Plumb and Level doesn’t seem to cause any optical illusions. Good Luck.

Old 01-08-06, 02:57 PM
Verified level & plumb

Thanks for the replies,
Chandler, that's exactly how I did it. That is how I found out I was off by an inch on the other side.(opposite to the lowest point) What I am hearing, from both of you, is to make sure I taper the cripple studs of the soffit ladder to end up with 1" over all. About 1/3 inch per 8' section.(I will calculate exactly)

I was just trying to save some time and cut them all the same size on the mitre saw. Thanks Again.....

Old 01-08-06, 06:43 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
You want all the lines to be level, even if it means cutting your cripples shorter over the span. Sorry about the extra work, but it must look right or it's wrong.
Good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: