Basement stairs before/after

Old 01-10-06, 01:54 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Basement stairs before/after

I'm putting along on my basement finishing and will probably do the stairs last but am looking to get some ideas on how to finish the stairs. One side of them are exposed as well as nothing covering the front of each step and currently have 2x4 handrails (fancy). Anyone have before and after photos of your stairs when you did them? Just looking for ideas at this point.

Edited to add that I plan to carpet them in the end but am having a hard time visualizing how to frame the currently exposed side, drywalling and triming them.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-06, 03:25 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I don't have any pictures, but one method is to install a wall along the exposed side and skirtboards on both sides. If your 2x4 steps are "construction" steps, there is about a 1" space on the sides, left there to allow the installation of the skirt. Once the skirt is installed, you can remove the steps one at a time and install risers and treads. If you plan on carpeting them, you may opt for pine treads and risers, but if they are to be exposed, oak is the choice. By building the wall along the stairs, you will create a closet at the high side in the basement. Don't laugh, a yellow pine, finely sanded 2x6 on edge with 2x4 spacers to the studs in the walls makes a fine handrail. Just make sure the handrail protrudes above the brace boards so your hand can slide the entire length. We do that alot on cabins here in the mountains to give a matching look to the pine walls. Good luck with your project.