finsihing attic

Old 01-10-06, 07:06 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
finsihing attic

The attic of a home I recently purchsed is set up perfectly to be finsihed. Have some questions about airflow and ventilation. The attic is constructed with rafters, ceilings joists and a knee wall. My plans are to insulate and finish everything inside of up along the kneewall along the rafters and and across the joists. I have no idea what needs to be done on the the unfinished area with respect to airflow and ventilation

Are the only baffles or any other type of ventilation I need to install is where the current soffit vents are? The attic is about 35' x 20'. The area above the joints to the roof line is about 6 feet at center.

If the attic area behind the Knee wall is to be left unfinished what type of finishing if any should be done on the back of the knee wall for insulation purpprses or can the insualtion be exposed on that side.

Old 01-11-06, 01:46 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
You will want to have a continuous flow of air from the soffits to the ridgevent. Install the baffles all the way from the soffits to the ridge vent, and then insulate over it. Behind the knee wall you will not have to finish it. You can just install the insulation with the vapor barrier facing toward the room. You may want to install stay wires behind it to keep it from lofting too much into the unfinished area.

Old 01-16-06, 07:06 AM
M
Thanks for the info. Does each rafter bay need baffles? You said run the bafffles from the soffit vent all the way to the ridge vent. Shouldn't I just have to run the baffles on the area of the attics (specifically just the rafters) where the insulatuion would otherwise be up against the roof? Behind the Kneewall and along the joists/collar beams there is open space not sure why I would need baffles up there. Thanks again

Old 01-16-06, 09:22 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Technically you wouldn't have to, and I see your point, but at some point in time, someone will cram stuff behind the knee wall and will stop airflow through the rafters. That is why I suggested it. But as long as the airflow exists, you have it.

Old 01-16-06, 09:56 AM
M
That is a good point thanks again

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: