basement ceiling help

Old 01-18-06, 10:35 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
basement ceiling help

we are remodeling our basement and have a very old, but stable ceiling. many pipes and wires, and our duct system hang lower than the ceiling preventing us from using a drop ceiling. we dont want to re-route the duct system, but want the ceiling to look good. we are not sure which is the best route, money wise and time wise. HELP!!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-06, 10:48 AM
ittybitt,
You could do a soffit if you choose to drywall. Is your duct work and plumbing running along the perimeter of the room?
-jasper

Old 01-18-06, 11:06 AM
our furnace is in the center of the basement and the ductwork runs along the center of the ceiling about 5 inches lower than the ceiling. we are drywalling the walls, and around the furnace and hot water tank(with a door for access). there are some small pipes that run just as low as the duct work and some that are up in between the wood slats. is painting everything one color an option to make it look better? ittybitt

Old 01-18-06, 01:25 PM
ittybitt,
sure. I heard some folks paint their ceiling rather than finish it. Check out this guy's project...
http://subasement.blogspot.com/

Old 01-18-06, 01:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I think you have a few good ideas for the ceiling, I just wanted to interject, when you make your access door for the water heater room, make sure it is wide enough for the water heater to go through. I have had to remove several after remodels and a 28" diameter water heater won't fit through a 24" opening.