moisture in concrete floor

Old 02-07-06, 07:36 AM
N
Nik
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question moisture in concrete floor

I just moved in to a newly refinished condo - house was built in 1890. We're on bottom floor & I want to finish my section of the basement. Already drywall & door separating it from the rest of the basement. Read about all sorts of tests you can do to determine what the moisture level of the floor is. Do I need to even bother or can I just seal it regardless of what the moisture level is?

Would I need a permit to seal & stain the concrete floor? I don't get a permit to paint my walls...

Old 02-07-06, 07:17 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Do you have ventilation, heat or air in the basement. If so, the concrete probably doesn't have a moisture problem, unless you can actually see it on the surface. When was the concrete poured? It wasn't in use in 1890, so it must have been a 20th century remodel. A sure test for floor moisture would be seeing mold on the lower portion of the sheetrock. It will happen if there is too much moisture in the basement. Dehumidify it, seal it and paint it. And I'm sure you don't have to have a permit to paint your floor, unless there are covenants in the unit that prohibit "any" restoration activity without permission.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: