basement window question...

Old 01-18-06, 06:00 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I will be building a home this year and was wondering which types of windows can go in a basement. These windows will NOT be for egress, I just want some nice sized windows to let light in. Basement will be poured concrete.

Do you have to buy special windows for a basement(for structure reasons)? I would like windows around 4'x5' or so. Thanks for any information...

ron

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-06, 07:21 PM

You don't need special windows for a basement for 'structural' reasons.

A properly sized header in the basement wall will be all that is necessary to bear the loads of upper stories.

Old 01-23-06, 10:08 AM
I forgot to mention also that the basement will not be a walkout. From your post tho that shouldn't make a difference. Thanks for the reply..

Ron

Old 01-24-06, 07:00 AM
I would just be careful since it is NOT a walkout. In some areas of the country, a second means of escape is still required. The windows may need to be a specific size for egress in an emergency.

I would say that the builder should know this, but I wouldn't bet on it. Or after reading posts here for a long time, I wouldn't even necessasrily trust the inspectors of new houses!

Good luck,
Tom

Old 01-24-06, 07:20 AM
Stub,

It is a requirement now that you must install an egress window within the lower level. New Code requirement R310.1. Call your local building department for confirmation.

http://dougaphs.smugmug.com/gallery/869859

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Doug Aleshire; 01-24-06 at 07:40 AM.
Old 02-07-06, 02:16 PM
Doug, everyone,

Is that true for all counties in Michigan? Reason I ask is that I had my house plans approved last year by the city(exeter township, monroe county)and the city inspector told me that a bilco door(or egress window)was NOT code anymore(this was in late August 05'). Things may have changed tho.

My plan does in fact show a bilco door, and I will be installing one so either way I don't think the egress window would pertain to me as the bilco will be the access to outside.

I just want some big windows in the basement to let in some natural light....

ron

Old 02-07-06, 03:02 PM
Stub,

The IRC 2003, Section R310.1 says that "Basements with habitable space and every sleeping room shall have at least one openable emergency escape and rescue opening. When bsements contain one or more sleeping rooms,emergency egress and rescue openings shall be required in adjoining areas of the basement."

Depending on your plans, if it was not designated as habitable space (unfinished) and it did not have sleeping rooms down there, you were able to get away without placing an egress opening down there, this would also mean a Bilco door.

The new Code coming out is mandating that an Egress opening, at last one, be placed in a basement whether it be;

New construction
An addition
Basement Finishing

Hope this helps!