Insulation Question

Old 01-23-06, 06:13 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Insulation Question

I am currently finishing my basement (Toronto, Canada) and i am at the stage of putting in insulation, I live in a townhouse and only have 2 exposed walls to the outside, the basement does have insulation on those two walls which goesfrom the joists to about 4 feet down (frost line). When i framed my room i built the framing out 1 inch from the concrete wall which put the framing on the inside of insulation. I would now like to fully insulate those walls between the steel studs from floor to ceiling. is there anything wrong with basically going concrete wall, insulation,vapour barrier (all currently existing from the builder) and then a layer of insulation between the studs, where that insulation will be resting on the existing vapour barrier, and then i guess i would stick vapor barrier over the new insulation as well and continue on to drywall.

Old 01-23-06, 08:15 AM
jamesg5000
Visiting Guest
I am in Toronto too and i am currently finishing my basement. From what I understand as long as the vapor barrier seperates the drywall from the insulation and foundation wall you are ok. It is hard to understand from your description exactly what you have going on. Maybe you could post a pic or diagram.

I finished my wall framing over the weekend. Now i need to frame out some things on the ceiling.

Old 01-23-06, 08:40 AM
check this out to see if it makes sense, no camera at the moment
c=Concrete wall(floor) I-Insulation V- Vapor barrier F- Framing D- Drywall
Really it is that little space that i am concerned about below the existing insulation and vapor barrier and the will be wall with insulation. The basement is dry but i don't want to create any problems

cIVFIVD
cIVFIVD
cIVFIVD
cIVFIVD
cIVFIVD
cIVFIVD
cIVFIVD
cIVFIVD
c FIVD
c FIVD
c FIVD
c FIVD
c FIVD
c FIVD
cccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

Old 01-23-06, 08:42 AM
that did not come out as well as i wanted it to, i will get my camera

Old 01-23-06, 09:31 AM
Insulation Question

After you get responses to your picture, pay particular attention to the Canadian reponses. There is a difference in codes, insulation and vapor requirements and practices between the U.S. & Canada.

Dick

Old 01-24-06, 04:26 AM
E
I would like to see the pictures...but by the sounds of it, you shoud probably remove the vapour barrier installed by the builder.

Old 01-25-06, 06:27 AM
Alright lets see if these pictures work. Just to recap. I have 2 walls in my basement that are exposed to the outside. The insulation covers the top half of the wall and is covered with vapor barrier. This was done by the builder based on the frost line. I have now framed my basement with the framing being 1 inch from the concreate wall which puts my framing on the inside of the insulation. I now am going to put insulation between the studs cover it with vapor barrier and then drywall. So the question is will that vapor barrier that currently exists cause any problems or should it be OK. Basically the layers will go, concrete wall, insulation,vapor barrier, framing and new insulation, vapor barrier and drywall. I am not doing this so that i have double insulation or anything i just elected not to take down the old insulation. Any thoughts, Picutes are posted at the site below.

http://spaces.msn.com/members/CnWHAS...&_c=photoalbum

Old 01-25-06, 09:21 AM
jamesg5000
Visiting Guest
yes that helps. We have the same basement setup. Insualtion 1/2 way down the wall.

I framed over mine as you did ( with wood though) . I left it there are I was not sure how long it may take to finish the framing and I wanted the basement warm.

My plan is to pull it out from behind the framing and use it to fill the framing properly and buy more insulation to finish the job. Then vapor barrier over all the framing before drywall.

You want the job to be as clean and proper as possible. Once the drywall is up you cant fix and issues.

Just my thoughts.

Old 01-26-06, 04:48 AM
E
The only thing you need to do is cut open the existing vapour barrier before installing the new insulation between the studs.

Old 01-26-06, 05:44 AM
EM Last night i was down there looking at my situation weighing my options and was thinking about exactly that. All i would really need to do is grab a knife cut between the studs and take out the barrier that is there. Buy some new insulation, fill between the studs and i am off to the races. All it does is create a double layer of insulation. Thanks to all for getting me thinking about the issue and all of your help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: