Covering basement ceiling insulation

Old 01-28-06, 08:54 AM
al_bundy
Visiting Guest
Covering basement ceiling insulation

i have an unfinished basement and the ceiling has been insulated with faced fiberglass bats. The faced part is facing the floor above and the fiberglass faces the basement. I want to cover it to avoid the fiber dust coming airborne or falling off. With my kids jumping and running around on the first floors i can see how it can get disturbed. Anyway, I was told that because it is a faced insulation, i shouldn't use plastic to cover it as it would be a second vapor barrier and cause damage in long run. How about Tivek?
Would sheetrock be a better option?. I already ran furring strips to attach sheetrock (or something else) to it. at least that gives 1/2" of gap for the insulation to breath. Since I have piping and electrical up there i am not looking to cover evertihng totally so i will probably be just covering sections and too bad for the rest. Would sheetrock also act as a vapor barrier?. I guess sheetrock may be better than tivek in case of a fire in the basement. I also considered a dropped ceiling but it seems that it may cost a lot more.
Ok. enough of my rambling...thanks in advance for any advice.

Old 01-30-06, 05:30 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sheetrock would be perfect.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: