Roof trusses strong enough to walk on in attic?

Old 02-07-06, 05:33 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Roof trusses strong enough to walk on in attic?

We just put up the trusses on the house I am building and I am wondering what to put in the attic area for people to walk around on. The trusses are 30' long and in some areas of the house there are no walls under them other than the fronnt and back wall. So what should I put up there to make walking around safer for my subs, electricians, plumbers, etc.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-06, 08:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Oooh, what a nice guy!!! Come build a house in our area. There is usually nothing up there for us to walk on. We are used to it. We sometimes throw up a 2 x 10 or something if we have to stand for a long time, but rafter walking is the norm. If you plan on making some of the area as storage, you can purchase attic floor boards, which are 2x2 tongue and groove 3/4" flooring material, either plywood or Avantech. They are easy to take up into the attic, supposing the ceiling sheetrock is in place. If not, then you could shoot up half pieces of plywood and secure it down after the insulation is in. Check with your architect to see if the type trusses you have will stand live load on the bottom stringer, and how much.