Recessed Lighting w/ Drop Ceiling

Old 03-01-06, 03:46 AM
Question Recessed Lighting w/ Drop Ceiling

I will be installing a drop ceiling in my basement. Should I use new construction style recessed lighting or the remodel types? Do they make new construction types that attach to the floor joists and allow you to drop the pot to the desired height? There will be no insulation in the overhead.
Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-06, 04:28 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
By drop ceiling, I am assuming you are talking a grid type system. Correct me if necessary. Can lighting come with spanner bars with a notch on them specifically for mounting on the grid system. After mounting them, there is a tab to bend making them permanently attached to the grid bar. This gives you the proper alignment with the bottom of the grid panel, and all you have to do is cut a hole in the panel.

Old 03-01-06, 04:29 PM
I used the remodel style pots in my drop ceiling. They are great for this type of ceiling.

Also I had to plan out my ceiling grid to allow the pots to be centered in a tile AND somewhat centered between the joists as I only have a 2.5 inch drop.

Old 03-01-06, 06:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
My only concern would be the weight of the remodel units sitting solely on the panel. Have you noticed any sagging?

Old 03-01-06, 06:53 PM
No sagging whatsoever. They are quite solid in the tile. Of course, it will depend on how good a tile you go with too.

I also attached a chain to each potlight and fastened the chain to the joist per the electrical inspector's recommedation. He said it was in case there is a fire, the lights won't fall on someone's head (ie a fireman).

Old 04-11-06, 05:23 PM
slashlos
Visiting Guest
have your cake and eat it too?

In finishing my basement, I only bought recessed cans that mount to the joists with nailers; 1/2 the basement will need a drop ceiling aka grid, the other drywall [where there's no plumbing etc].

I went looking for the can insert and notice that they do not extend down so far so I either have the wrong inserts or the wrong cans for the drop ceiling part of the basement. They seem to be designed for a drywall ceiling as they only allow extension about 3".

The inserts have a sort of spring that allows it to be move up and down easily; the friction keeps the bulb in place. Aren't there variants of this with longer springs? I'd need say 7-8" vs. the 3" it has now, so I can have the can mounted on the joists for support, and have flexibility to move insert to the proper height and not put hardly any weight on the tile?

/los "I was a teenage net-random"

Old 04-12-06, 07:57 AM
slashlos
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up Duh, I see it now...

Spoke to a neighhbor, it seems the nail on the joist type units have a clip that will connect to the grid system, so that is how you have the unit being supported by the grid and have the adjustable cone insert; as an added precaution you could anchor the cone to the joist, but I'm declaring victory at this point.

Old 04-16-06, 06:01 PM
I went with a set of Halo cans that cost $5.00 each at Home Depot. They clip right onto the ceiling tracks & are really sturdy.

Old 04-16-06, 06:52 PM
"I went with a set of Halo cans that cost $5.00 each at Home Depot."

Wait a minute - I saw a post from an electrician in another thread that said cans with trim and bulb cost $50 at Home Depot.
I paid $6 each for mine, plus $9 for the trim and got the bulbs in a multipack (12) for about $3 each.
I guess that's how some pay for their overhead.