Basement toilet

Old 03-15-06, 02:58 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Basement toilet

I am a new member to this web site and want to apologize in advance if I ask silly questions. I am somewhat handy and have done other projects that I initially thought I could never do, but no expert by any stretch.

Here goes. I am in the process of refinishing my basement about (1,000 sq. ft) and want to add a bathroom (toilet, sink and shower). The drain pipe is coming down along the concrete wall from the upstairs bathrooms and sits flush with the concrete floor as it turns 90 degrees towards the wall. At the 90 degree turn there is cap for what I believe they call a "clean out" spout. My questions is, can I use use the "clean out" spout as the main drain pipe for the new tiolet. I have looked at previous threads but most talk about using some sort of sump pump gadgets. I would prefer not to and the only way I can see that happening is if I am able to tap into the clean out spout. Even though I will have to raise the floor a bit bacause it has a "Y" shape and it it is about 4 inches up from the ground.

Old 03-15-06, 03:02 PM
IHI
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You would be much better off IMO to break the floor up and cut/tie directly into the main sewer line with a Y fitting and try to design the bathrrom so you can install a vanity over the clean out to hide it if possible.

Old 03-15-06, 06:34 PM
S
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Smile

I'm not a plumber, but it sounds really unusual to have a waste line as you describe. Posting a photo would be a big or help or asking your question in the plumbing forum might be better.

You do need a 3" waste line for a toilet, 2" for a shower and venting for both. Simply reworking the clean-out is not going to do it.

IHI is right. If you want nice results in the end, opening up your floor and tapping in to the existing lines is the right way to go. And if there's none in your main sewer now, I would definitely add a backwater valve to prevent tragedies in your shower.

Good luck!

Old 03-15-06, 07:52 PM
IHI
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I've seen this type of set-up in many older homes, in fact the first plce I bought had the exact same sewer line and my reply was based off how I handled the situation Even this newer home I'm in built in '80 has the exact same set-up, clean out on main drop line and another hub in the corner of hte basement prior to it going outside the foundation.

glad you caught the reverse flow box, I totally spaced that off...after seeing basements with "muddy water" that smells kinda funny this is a must install device.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: