Bathroom in Basement

Old 03-20-06, 10:40 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bathroom in Basement

I am working now on framing my basement. When I bought my house, it had a rough in for a bathoom, both a toilet and shower drain. If we plan to only have a toilet and no shower or tub in the basement, do you cover up the black square shower rough in or perhaps out the vanity over it at that point? I just am not sure what to do with it at this point.

Thanks,
Birdo

Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-06, 05:27 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Keep the shower box and pipe sealed and just cover it with a small cabinet or something. I am sure there is a stub for the sink in another location. You shouldn't use the shower drain for the sink, as there is a p-trap in the shower rough in, and two p-traps violate code.

Old 03-21-06, 12:04 PM
are you talking about the roughed in drain pipe sticking up from the floor for the shower? if so i had the same thing in my basement and was not planning to use it. I could have hid it but did some checking around for ideas and what was suggested to me was the following (i work at a plumbing wholesaler distribution facility so we see a lot of plumbers in here.

Cut that pipe off flush with the floor, get a test plug and trim the top of the test plug off so that it will fit inside of the drainage pipe, deep enough so that the top of the plug is below the floor level. Put the plug in and tighten it up as tight as you can, the compression will seal the pipe. then get some silicone (clear) and fill the area so that it is flush with the concrete floor. The pipe will disappear but stil be sealed off and there will not be any problems with it. If at some point in the future you wish or someone wishes to use that drain pipe for a fixture they will just need to dig up the silicone remove the plug and hook up to the pipe.

I used this method because i did not want the pipe to dictate where i put my furnature etc in my room. if you are not going to use it seal it up and use the space how you would like to. Just a suggestion

Old 03-24-06, 10:45 AM
B
Thanks for the tip. I may just cap it off and hide it for future use, if any. Great forum!!