Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Question for those who used rigid foam to insulate a basement

Old 03-25-06, 02:02 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I plan to insulate the poured concrete walls in my basement with rigid XPS foam. If you have used this method, what did you use for adhesive? How long did it take to set-up and hold the panels in place? What did you use to hold them until the adhesive set-up?

I wont be able to friction fit them top and bottom as there is a 1ft high knee wall (dont know what else to call it) at the top of my poured wall before the 1st level floor joists to give the basement an extra foot of depth. I will have to insulate that area differently so the panels will only go to the top of the concrete.

Old 03-27-06, 12:25 PM
Northern_Guy
Visiting Guest
I just used PL200 (I think) foam board adhesive on my basement. However, on my Aunt's basement I am helping her with I didn't even glue it. If you are going to use standard 2x4 walls in front of it, you really don' have to glue it to the wall... the main idea is to prevent the warm basement air from contacting the cold concrete walls. Make sure to use the correct moisture resistant tape for the XPS foam board!

Old 03-27-06, 03:20 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

There is a big difference between EXPANDED polystyrene (usually white) and EXTRUDED polystyrene (pink, blue, yellow, etc.). One is best suited for coffee cups or trays under hamburger in the supermarket.

The insulation values are very different and the compatible adhesives are different.

Dick

Old 03-27-06, 03:47 PM
W
Originally Posted by Concretemasonry
There is a big difference between EXPANDED polystyrene (usually white) and EXTRUDED polystyrene (pink, blue, yellow, etc.). One is best suited for coffee cups or trays under hamburger in the supermarket.

The insulation values are very different and the compatible adhesives are different.

Dick

Um, thanks Dick. I used the abv. "XPS" for extruded polystyrene, I believe thats corect. So, any recomended adhesives.

Thanks for the sugestion Northern Guy

Old 03-31-06, 11:31 AM
W
Whats the cleanest way to cut this stuff? Can you score it and snap it sort of like drywall, or do you have to cut it all the way through with something?

Also currious as to how much adhesive I will need. I need to put up 35-40 4x8 sheets.

Thanks

Old 03-31-06, 03:05 PM
M
I used the PL300 Foam Board Adhesive from Menards too, standard sized tubes. I used about 1.5 tubes per 4x8 sheet, sometimes 2 tubes. I did all around the perimeter and then made some "X" patterns across the back.

I braced it against the wall with with sheets of plywood set at an angle. I cut 4x8 sheets of plywood into sections that were 2'x4' and 2'x8'. This gave it pressure at the middle (using the 4' lengths) and top (using the 8' lengths). I went with the 2' widths because it was easy to handle for one person.

I waited 24 hours for it to cure before moving the plywood.

I used no mechanical fasteners at all; just the PL300.

I'm very happy wth the results. I am framing out walls in front of the foam board, but my concrete walls (and thus my foam covered concrete walls) are not perfectly straight. So in some places the wood framing butts up against the foam, in other areas I have a 1/2" gap. If the foam wasn't glued this gap would cause me problems, so I'm happy it's glued.

Good luck.

Old 04-07-06, 04:38 PM
W
I have another question.

I purchased STYROFOAM Residential Sheathing extruded polystyrene insulation. The foam insulation board has a thin plastic film on both sides. No-one had the plain STYROFOAM Tongue and Groove extruded polystyrene without the plastic film on both sides. The sales people at all the stores said it was the same stuff other than the plastic film. the DOW website says the plastic film reduces job site damage to the insulation boards.

My question is, do I remove the plastic film on both sides or at least the side that I am gluing to the concrete walls? It is already slightly peeling on the edges and I cant imagine the adhesive will hold the best.

Old 04-08-06, 05:49 AM
M
I think you'd leave it on but this is my opinion having no knowledge of the product whatsoever.

Extruded polystyrene is a type of plastic itself, so I think a foam board adhesive would hold perfectly well. A foam board adhesive is designed to bond to plastic (foam board sheets) so it would probably bond well to plastic (film). Heck, the plastic film is probably polystyrene film.

Secondly, I can't imagine they would design and sell a product that for proper installation required you to peel off this film; at least not without making that very clear in instructions or printed on the sheets.

Maybe do one test sheet before doing a whole bunch. But I think you'll have no problems.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: