What floor is best for basements?

Old 03-29-06, 03:58 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What floor is best for basements?

i live in new york and im finishing my basement and i want to install carpeting down there but im not sure whats the best way to prep the floors?

i dont have a water problem or condensation, and i heard there is actually concrete padding available?

while a plywood underlayment supported by 1x3 strips would be ideal i dont think i really care to feel a wooden floor for all the trouble

any ideas???

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-06, 08:15 AM
michael4244,
I'm not sure what you meant by prep the floor? Is the concrete in good shape, i.e. no large cracks, etc?

I had carpet installed in my basement, no prep was required other than sweeping the floor. A good carpet guy can recommend a padding for you. About 4 guys came in, nailed down all the tack strips and completely installed 1000 sq ft of carpet within a few hours.

-jasper

Old 03-30-06, 09:49 AM
N
We put carpet in our finished basement and used a very sturdy, high quality pad. I think it was something like a 8# rebound pad, but I'm not sure. We were very impressed by how nice it felt to walk on. I don't really notice the difference between it and walking on the floor upstairs. The carpet does not feel cold when you walk on it either. I originally asked them to use a mildew resistant pad, but since I have no water or moisture problems, they told me it wasn't necessary and will add pretty significant cost.

Old 03-30-06, 10:22 AM
M
thanks for the replies guys... i keep hearing all sorts of warnings about basement flooring and i finally read something that i can relate to,
yes my floors are even for the most part. and yes i dont have a moisture problem... i'll be sure to ask about what types are available as well as what makes most sense since i now have a more understanding of it all...
thanks again@!