Can you lay tile on concrete floor?

Old 04-06-06, 07:20 AM
jamesg5000
Visiting Guest
Can you lay tile on concrete floor?

The framing on my basement is finally done. Took a lot more time than I planned. I am starting to think ahead to the next steps now. My thoughts are to have one room as a kids play area with a tiled floor (better for spills and toy ridding) maybe an area rug.

Can you lay tile right on to a concrete floor? My basement is dry and warm. The house is 5 yrs old.

Old 04-06-06, 09:28 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
sure can, best surface is concrete.
Make sure its flat/near flat and go for it.

Good Luck.

oh, btw.
do a moistue check on the concrete first to make sure no moisture rises thru the concrete from under the slab.
Tape plastic or tin foil to floor (about 1ftx1ft) and let sit for a few days.
Come back and remove plastic/foil and see if there is any moisture under the plastic (concrete will be dark/moist).
If there is do not lay tile on the concrete. Comback and ask more questions here if thats the case.

again, good luck

Old 04-07-06, 04:32 AM
E
Originally Posted by jamesg5000
My thoughts are to have one room as a kids play area with a tiled floor (better for spills and toy ridding) maybe an area rug.
Tile may be a little too hard if a child falls. I would use laminate flooring as it is a softer and is actually cheaper per square foot.

Old 04-07-06, 05:44 AM
jamesg5000
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the tips. I taped up some plastic wrap on the floor and wall last night. I will check for the moisture. I think it will be fine but much better to find a problem now when everything is open.

Good tip on the laminate. I will look into that.

Thanks

Old 04-07-06, 06:51 AM
J
Since it is a concrete slab I would suggest adding something like Ditra to set the tile on. This will act as isolation membrane and moisture barrier and Homedepot is starting to sell it. A little expensive but will prevent tile and grout cracks if any movement occurrs. Check out the link below for product info. Good luck

www.kerdi.com

John

Last edited by johny2050; 04-07-06 at 08:43 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: