New Basement

Old 04-13-06, 06:25 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New Basement

I am building a new basement in Central Indiana and I have a couple of questions. The house is 80% complete, but I think the builder is jerking me around with the basement.

1. The basement is poured walls and when it rains and the pump is not on(a sub forgot to plug the pump back in), where the floor meets the walls get very wet. I would have thought the pit would have overflowed - but that did not happen. Is this normal?

2. The basement has some long cracks in the floor and always looks wet. THe GC said it is impossible and there is no way there is water coming up through the cracks.

3. Our basement floor is not level. There is a low part - I know this because that is where the water settled after the rain. Should a new basement not be completely level?

I am meeting with the GC onsite this weekend and any help anyone could provide would be appreciated.

Thanks

Old 04-14-06, 12:13 AM
P
It's not impossible for water to come up through the cracks. It's called hydrostatic pressure. With all the rain we've been having in Central Indiana lately, the ground has a lot of water in it. Ask the GC if there is a vapor barrier (plastic sheeting) under the slab.
As to being level, it should be. However, it is very common to get a hump or dip here and there. If it is a big, deep hole, then there's a problem. How deep is the water when the dip fills up and how large is the puddle?
Did the contractor install perimeter drain tile. Does the sump pit fill up frequently? All questions to ask. Good luck.

Pecos

Old 04-14-06, 05:21 AM
My house is 2.5 years old. Recently had my basement finished.

I have some hairline cracks in the basement floor, but nothing major and no signs of moisture. My floor appears to be fairly level to eye. Only low part is where the drain is.

Puddles of the floor could be an indication of a crack in the wall. Keep a sharp eye out. I discovered one when my house was being built.

-Jasper

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: